Pret’s brownies are wonderful, so dark and moist, an indulgence for chocolate lovers everywhere…
The ingredients are simply mixed in a large bowl and hand baked in a tray until just right.
Here the recipe, directly from PRET A MANGER, enjoy!
- 225g (8 oz) unsalted butter
- 300g (10 ½ oz) dark chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 275g (9 ¾ oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 135g (4 ¾ oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ tsp salt
PREHEAT THE OVEN to 160ᵒC (315ᵒF/Gas 2 – 3). Grease a 23cm (9 in) squared baking tray.
- Melt the butter and two-thirds of the chocolate chips in a saucepan over a low heat. The smaller the pieces of butter, the quicker they will melt and the overall temperature will not get too high. Don’t let the mixture become too warm or you’ll have to wait before adding it to the egg mixture (so that the eggs don’t scramble on contact with the other ingredients, which would be a great pity!)
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar together. If the chocolate mix is cool enough (if you can dip your finger into it without gasping at all it should be okay) add it to the eggs and sugar and mix well.
- Sift the flour and salt into the mixture and fold in until all flour whiteness has disappeared.
- Pour into the prepared tin and level. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 20 minutes
The mixture should be set and firm on top but not completely cooked. Using a skewer to test the texture would only show you if it were seriously under-done because, in this case, you actually want the mixture to be sticking to the skewer when you remove the tray from the oven so that the brownies remain wonderfully gooey and soft when cold. They will continue to cook when out of the oven because of the stored heat in the mixture.
Err on the side of too little cooking rather than the opposite; if they are completely soggy you might just have to serve them with cream or ice cream in a bowl with a spoon.
Allow them to cool a little before cutting into shapes with a sharp knife and don’t remove them from the tray until completely cold.
Share with someone you love. ❤